|The project began because tin foil was what was helping us sleep. Not pretty.|
|I never did have a blind in the kitchen and it felt creepy somehow when eating.|
A big part of measuring is deciding whether the finished blinds will sit outside or inside the window frame. I chose inside. Even though it was a bit tricker and my window trim isn't anything special to emphasize, I felt like having the blind inside the window frame looked cleaner and more contemporary.
If you decide to do this is really helps to have a handsome and handy guy around to cut the mounting strips and mount them. Some people hang roman blinds by stapling them to the mounting strip, but I used velcro so I can remove the blinds easily to wash them-- or the windows.
|The bedroom curtain fabric came from the cute Etsy store, Kalla, from Japan|
|For the kitchen blind fabric, I used a fun poppy print from vintage curtains I found thrifting. It matches my red bakelite vintage cupboard pulls|
If you want to make your own roman blinds, this site was helpful. It is a bit detailed for someone who just wants to cover their windows at home and not become a professional window treatment seamstress, but it does help you do the math and figure out all the terminology so you can find the parts you need at the Fabric store. Canadian designers Steven and Chris have a more simplified set of instructions and so between the two sites you should be good.
Next up, re-covering my patio furniture and then, new seat cushions for the Tulip table in the kitchen. Yay sewing!
*Learn from my mistake: If I make blinds again, I will try a mitred edge, rather than sewing the right sides of the fabric and lining together. I did this, turned them inside out, sewed up the gap and ironed each fold crease instead of inserting rods at each fold. If your blind is longer than it is wide, like our bedroom, I discovered it is hard to have it up and clean and crisp at each fold without the mitred trim and batten rods. But ours is down most of the time, so no biggie. One smart move I made was use black-out fabric for the lining. Melatonin is a good thing.